Complaint about NHS services

You have the right to have any complaint about NHS services investigated and to receive a full and prompt written reply. Who you complain to will depend on the nature of your complaint. Your local PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) can advise you and guide you through the procedure.

If a doctor behaves unethically or unprofessionally you can complain to the General Medical Council:

Regent’s Place
350 Euston Road

0161 923 6602

The same applies to any other professional providing homeopathy. For a full list of the regulatory bodies, seeRegulation.

Complaint about a Faculty of Homeopathy member

The Faculty of Homeopathy has a Disciplinary and Professional Performance Procedure for its members. If you are unsatisfied with the quality of homeopathic treatment that you receive and are unable to resolve the matter with the practitioner concerned, please send your complaint in writing to:

Chairman of the Disciplinary &
Professional Performance Committee
Faculty of Homeopathy
Hahnemann House
29 Park Street West