|Home||About Us||About Homeopathy||Getting Treatment||How We Can Help You||What You Can Do||Research||Media Centre|
Very little research has been done in veterinary homeopathy. In fact, there are only 35 randomised controlled trials (RCTs) published in the entire peer-reviewed journal literature. From those papers, we have highlighted the 15 (42% of the total) that report positive findings for homeopathy:
Table 1 shows the conditions and species for which there is statistically favourable evidence for homeopathy in published RCTs, where comparison has been with placebo or with another medication. In four of these studies, homeopathy was at least as effective as antibiotic treatment.
Table 2 shows conditions and species for which positive findings have been obtained in research that did not have a control group (clinical outcome studies).
In collaboration with Bristol University Veterinary School, the British Homeopathic Association has published the pilot findings of a research initiative studying atopic dermatitis in dogs.21
|Mastitis in cattle||1, 2|
|Infectious diseases in pigs||4, 5, 6|
|Growth rate in pigs||7|
|Obstetric problems in pigs||8, 9|
|Reproductive performance in pigs||10|
|Salmonella in chickens||11|
|Weight gain in chickens||12, 13|
|Osteoarthritis in dogs||14|
|Pseudopregnancy in dogs||15|
|Mastitis in cattle||16|
|Kennel cough in dogs||17|
|Epilepsy in dogs||18|
|Cushing's disease in dogs and horses||19|
|Still birth in pigs||20|
1. Searcy R, Reyes O, Guajardo G. Control of subclinical bovine mastitis: utilization of a homoeopathic combination. Br Homeopathic J 1995; 84: 67–70.
2. Varshney JP, Naresh R. Comparative efficacy of homeopathic and allopathic systems of medicine in the management of clinical mastitis of Indian dairy cows. Homeopathy 2005; 94: 81-85.
3. Silva NL, Moletta JL, Minho AP, Filippsen LF. Use of biotherapic in the control of natural infestation by Boophilus microplus: pilot study. International Journal of High Dilution Research 2008; 7: 35-37.
4. Albrecht H, Schütte A. Homeopathy versus antibiotics in metaphylaxis of infectious diseases: a clinical study in pig fattening and its significance to consumers. Altern Ther Health Med 1999; 5: 64–68.
5. Camerlink I, Ellinger L, Bakker EJ, Lantinga EA. Homeopathy as replacement to antibiotics in the case of Escherichia coli diarrhoea in neonatal piglets. Homeopathy 2010; 99: 57–62.
6. Coelho C de P, Soto FRM, Vuaden ER, Melville PA, Oliveira FCS, Benites NR. Evaluation of preventive homeopathic treatment against colibacillosis in swine production. Int J High Dil Res 2009; 8: 183-190.
7. Guajardo-Bernal G, Searcy-Bernal R, Soto-Avila J. Growth-promoting effect of Sulphur 201c in pigs. Br Homeopath J 1996; 85: 15–16.
8. Wolter H. Arzneiwirkungsprüfung an Caulophyllum D 30: Ein doppelter Blindversuch [Drug efficacy testing of Caulophyllum D 30: A double-blind trial]. Praktische Tierarzt 1966; 47: 431-432, 496-501.
9. Schütte A. Neue Ergebnisse aus Untersuchungen zur Behandlung des Puerperalsyndroms der Zuchtsauen [New results from investigations concerning the treatment of the puerperal syndrome of breeding sows]. Praktische Tierarzt Colleg Vet 1988; 19: 67-73.
10. Soto FRM, Vuaden ER, Paulo Coelho C, Bonamin LV, Azevedo SS, Benites NR, Visintin JA, Barros FRO, Goissis MD, Ávila Assumpção MEO, Marques MG. Reproductive performance of sows inseminated with diluted semen treated with homeopathic medicine. International Journal of High Dilution Research 2010; 9: 51-57.
11. Sandoval CH, Morfin LL, Lopez BB. Preliminary research for testing Baptisia tinctoria 30c effectiveness against salmonellosis in first and second quality broiler chickens. Br Homeopathic J 1998; 87: 131–134.
12. Trehan PK. Effect of some homoeopathic drugs on the performance in broilers. Indian J Animal Res 1994; 28: 23-26.
13. Sharma ML, Kansal ML, Ichhponani JS. Supplemental value of homoeopathic preparation on feed of commercial broilers. Indian Journal of Poultry Science 1987; 22: 344-348.
14. Hielm-Björkman A, Tulamo RM, Salonen H, Raekallio M. Evaluating complementary therapies for canine osteoarthritis--Part II: a homeopathic combination preparation (Zeel). eCAM 2009; 6: 465-471.
15. Beceriklisoy HB, Özyurtlu N, Kaya D, Handler J, Aslan S. Effectiveness of Thuja occidentalis and Urtica urens in pseudopregnant bitches. Wiener Tierärztliche Monatsschrift 2008; 95: 263-268.
16. Varshney JP, Naresh R. Evaluation of a homeopathic complex in the clinical management of udder diseases of riverine buffaloes. Homeopathy 2004; 93: 17–20.
17. Day CEI. Isopathic prevention of kennel cough – is vaccination justified? J Int Assoc Vet Hom 1987; 2: 45–51.
18. Varshney JP. Clinical management of idiopathic epilepsy in dogs with homeopathic Belladonna 200C: a case series. Homeopathy 2007; 96: 46–48.
19. Elliott M. Cushing's Disease: a new approach to therapy in equine and canine patients. Br Homeopathic J 2001; 90: 33–36.
20. Day CEI. Control of stillbirths in pigs using homoeopathy. Br Homeopathic J 1984; 73: 142–143.
21. Hill PB, Hoare J, Lau-Gillard P, Rybnicek J, Mathie RT. Pilot study of the effect of individualised homeopathy on the pruritus associated with atopic dermatitis in dogs. Veterinary Record 2009; 164 (issue 12); 365-370.